Thursday, June 17, 2010

ni rosas ni juguetes

Another week in Tamaula is over. :( I'm writing from the Internet cafe in Irapuato next to Adriana's house. We're all meeting here tonight and heading off to Michoacan for the weekend. There's about 40 people going (basically anyone involved with the foundation that's around is going), so it'll be a fun time!

This week was a blast for me. I grew closer to my "sister" Maria Santos, who is probably one of the most brilliant girls in Tamaula. Sunday, we went on a horse ride (finally!) up the mountain and saw a beautiful view of Tamaula and surrounding communities. We named the horse Bronco and had so much fun riding around.

Santos & I at the top of the mountain

Santos and I pretty much spent every minute together from when she got out of school at 2 until she woke up the next morning to go to school. (We shared a bed this week while Angel, Caroline's boyfriend, was visiting from Veracruz.) We played plenty of basketball, practiced boxing, went horseback riding again (this time with Ramón, one of my English students), chiflared (whistled) a TON, ate cookies that we hid in our room, listened to music on my iPod (she's also a fan of reggaeton and Juanes), and laughed and laughed and laughed. We also set a new meta for ourselves -- I'm going to learn all the lyrics to "Ni Rosas, Ni Juguetes" by Paulina Rubio (one of her favorites), and she's going to learn all the lyrics to "Hot ´N Cold" by Katy Perry (one of the only English songs on their computer). Basically, she's awesome.

The week flew by, partly because it was cut short by our early departure today. Still, the weeks are flying by here, and it's really getting to me. I'll be really sad to leave the community that has been such a great home for me for the past 4 weeks. Despite being sad about leaving so soon, we have a lot of fun stuff coming up. Sunday, all 8 of us UNC kids (Caroline's staying in Tamaula this weekend) are going back up the mountain, and I cannot wait to share Tamaula with all of our compañeros. Monday is a huge community work day in Tamaula. All of the kids have a break from school, and the whole community is getting together to beautify the town. Some 100 secundaria students are coming from Irapuato, so with them, combined with all of us, the Ibero students, and all of the Tamaula residents, it's going to be quite a party.

One last note -- some of the people that I will miss the most in the community are the kids. The other day, I was walking up the hill to my house, and when I got within 100 feet of the house, I was greeted by a collective "Leeeeeennn!!!" scream and 5 kids running toward me. They're literally filled with joy, and I'm going to miss all of them a ton (even Oswaldo's sometimes-annoying high-pitched voice).

Monserrat & Carolina, two of the cutest girls in Tamaula

I'll leave with this picture I took on our second horseback ride. Beautiful, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment