Thursday, June 3, 2010

cemento y chivas

The week has flown by! Today is already Thursday, and we leave tomorrow for Guanajuato City for the weekend!

Yesterday was a fun day for me. We started off the morning with English class, and then I had delicious taquitos (fried tortillas stuffed with beans) for breakfast. I went over to check out what the American group was doing, and I got roped in to helping inject anti-parasite cream into goats' mouths. I was able to do without spilling! And it was quite an experience.

Then, I got to mix cement! The group is building a water cistern next to the goat cheese factory that's being built, and it's made out of cement. Of course, I was dying to mix cement, and I finally got to! I helped Manolo mix 10 buckets of sand (a little bit grittier than the sand in Reynosa) and 3 bags of cement and some water. It definitely felt good to be mixing again :) When it was all mixed, I help Gregorio (one of my host mom's sons) plaster the cement onto the chicken wire structure to form the cistern.

Another thing I got to do yesterday was artificially inseminate a chiva (goat). Yes, I actually took a syringe full of hormones and who knows what else and injected into you-know-where. The group was doing it with a vet from CHOICE and wanted me to try. I'm still not sure how I felt about it. It seemed a little bit too unnatural for me, but it's apparently supposed to help all the goats get pregnant at the same time or something like that. I was definitely more in my element with the cement work.

I spent last night hanging out with the kids as usual. I took out my camera for one of the first times, and Lady, Santos (who we found out today actually prefers Maria), and the kids had a fun time modeling. We recorded a video of them speaking English, which I'll have to post later. We were having a grand time until Yesenia and Oswaldo found a globo (balloon) and proceeded to fight over it until they were both throwing outrageous tantrums. It was then that I decided to go find something to eat and let abuela Mago handle it.

Today marks 2 weeks for us here. It's weird how, on one hand, it feels like we've been here forever, but on the other hand, it's flown by. I'm finally comfortable here, and I know it's going to be extremely hard to leave. I'm already sad to be gone just this weekend! I know it's going to be hard to say good-bye, but I have to remember this: God puts people in our lives at different times for different reasons. Some people we meet are meant to be lifelong friends, while others are put in our lives for a short period of time. But everyone we meet and every experience we have shapes us in some way. Even if I never see anyone from this community again, I know that they will have impacted me in a way that no one else can.

"The Lord will do what is good in his sight." - 2 Samuel 10:12

No comments:

Post a Comment