Monday, June 7, 2010

la ciudad bonita

We're back from an awesome weekend in what is in my opinion one of the best cities in the world! All of the 9 UNC people working here got together in Guanajuato City to relax and catch up with each other. Clay, Caroline, and I hitched a ride down the mountain on Friday and got dropped off in Irapuato, where we caught a bus to the city. We met up with Kaylee, Jake, and Ana Laura, who are spending their time in El Gusano. We had a great time walking around the city and sharing stories about what's going on in each of the communities. Feeling like taking a break from the eggs and beans routine, we ordered 3 pizzas from Domino's for dinner and enjoyed them on the roof of Casa Bertha, our hostel. After dinner, we went out dancing at a few of the city's clubs and ended up running into the group of Americans that was in Tamaula this past week!

I woke up early Saturday morning (definitely not on purpose) and spent some time reading and journaling on the roof, which has a beautiful view of the entire city. We had another very American meal of cereal and toast for breakfast and headed out to walk around the city. We explored inside the Univerisdad de Guanajuato and spent a few hours eating lunch and talking at Tasca de la Paz. We took the funicular (like a small train car) up the mountain to Pipila, a statue that overlooks the entire city. We visited Callejon del Beso, a famous, narrow street in Guanajuato. Kaylee and I went shopping in the huge mercado and came back to relax on the roof of Casa Bertha. Saturday night, we got dressed up and went out to a nice dinner at an Italian restaurant in the plaza. We sat on the second floor, overlooking the entire plaza. I had the best pesto pasta with chicken I've ever eaten, tried some Argentinian wine, and finished off the meal with tiramasu. It was a really nice break from the Mexican rancho food we've been eating for 2 weeks.

On Sunday, the Tamaula crew headed out of the city around noon to be able to catch a ride up the mountain later in the day. We took a bus back to Irapuato and then another one to Cuchicuato, where we spent a few hours at Dona Martina's family's house. We rode back up with their family, and it sure was great to be back in Tamaula.

This week is another week of English classes and futbol games for us. Caroline has a ton of work to do with her research, and I'll be helping Clay with testing water for his project. We're also going to start having movie nights this week with some of the movies we bought in Irapuato, including all three Shreks and all six Harry Potters!

Also, happy 24th anniversary to my parents, Holly & Matt! I love y'all!

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
- Matthew 11:28-30

Beautiful view from Pipila. And a beautiful friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment