Tuesday, May 3, 2011

familia

One of the things that I wish I had had more time to do this semester is spend time with my host family. It's hard being torn between seeing all the beautiful places in Ecuador and spending time at my house with them. My host parents Lore and Guille are two of the most kind and welcoming people I've ever met, and they have made my experience in Ecaudor an incredible one. Hearing some stories from other exchange students and the relationships they have (or rather, don't have) with their host family, I am even more grateful of how blessed I was to have lived with Lore, Guille, Leandro, and Linet.

Luckily, this past weekend and this week/weekend, I have been able to spend more time at home, and it's been wonderful. Saturday night, they had a couple of friends over, and we spent the evening enjoying each other's company, which is something I've only had the chance to do a few times this semester. Last night, my friends Liz and Cole were over studying, and they stayed for dinner. Little did we know that it was going to be something of a dinner party! Lore and Guille met a guy from England this past weekend when they were at a friend's house, and they had him over for dinner last night. So, over burritos and Coke, we all chatted in a mixture of Spanish and English about everything from life in Ecuador to Guille's favorite topic, Cuba.

This Friday, my sister (finally) gets here! And of course, Guille wants to celebrate. So, Friday night, we're having a welcome party for Meredith and a goodbye party for me and Ashley. Sunday is Mother's Day, so Ashley and I (with my sister's help) are going to make dinner and dessert for our host moms and our families. And NEXT weekend, after a week of showing my sister around Ecuador, we're having another party at my house. This one will be a combination of my actual goodbye party and Guille's birthday party.

As my time here winds down, I'm excited to go home and see my family and friends (and drive my car and eat Chickfila). I'm also very sad to leave Ecuador. It's been my home for the past 4 1/2 months, and I'm even tearing up a little just writing this. But I also know that I have had the most incredible experience here, and I am so blessed to have been able to live here. I have had so much fun, and I have learned so much. I have to remember to look back on this experience and yes, be sad that it is over, but more importantly, be grateful that these 4 1/2 months were part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment