Tuesday, May 31, 2011

méxico, méxico

What a crazy week it's been! Jake and I continued our community-visiting last week and headed to El Gusano on Tuesday. It was fun to meet slash re-acquaint myself with everyone there, including our friend Kari, who is from DF and is working for the Fundación this summer. We also got to meet the kids that are there this year from UNC-CH and (try to) give them some advice and encouragement.

We stayed there until Thursday afternoon, when we took a bus over to Guanajuato City, also known as my favorite city in Mexico. Because we've both been to the city more than once, we skipped the typical tourist-y things and spent a lot of time on the rooftop balcony of our hostel, enjoying the view and fresh fruit. All the kids from UNC came on Friday, so we hung out with them at night. Also on Friday, we went to see the movie Thor (still on the fence about whether I recommend that or not). Saturday, we walked around the city a bit and met some super cool girls from Canada at our hostel. We ended up cooking a delicious dinner with them that night, and they came out dancing with us and the UNC group.

Sunday, we headed back to Mexico City and hung out with Walter for the night. Jake headed down to Oaxaca on a midnight bus, and I left Monday on a flight up to Monterrey.

Now, I'm hanging out at the Berea Bible Institute, where my friend Samuel lives and teaches. I met Samuel during the summer of 2008 when we were both working for Ministerio de Fe in Miguel Alemán, and when I worked in Reynosa in 2009, we came for a weekend to Monterrey. Although we've kept in really good touch, I hadn't seen him since them...until yesterday! I'm staying in the girls' dorms, and it's been great meeting the girls that study here. It's also been great spending time with Samuel and meeting his friends.

I leave here on Friday, and on Sunday, I am heading back to North Carolina! As truly amazing as this past semester and this trip to Mexico have been, I am ready to be settled back in Chapel Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment