Monday, January 24, 2011

el vigésimo primero

I'm finally 21! And I celebrated it the best way possible . . . in South America. It was a pretty busy weekend, so I'll break it down:

FRIDAY
Some friends and I went out to dinner at Pizza SA, an excellent pizza restaurant in el Centro Histórico. It was fun hanging out with new friends, and the pizza was delicious. I went out with a couple of people to Mariscal afterward, where I officially rung in my birthday at midnight!


SATURDAY
We left for Papallacta pretty early, so we got into the town by around 10:30am. We checked into our cabanas and headed down to the balnearios (natural hot springs baths), basically all of these different-sized pools, filled with water naturally drawn from the hot springs, so the water ranged from scalding to lukewarm. I think the most commonly heard phrase for the first 2 hours was, "Is this real life? Is this really happening?"


After lunch, we headed back to our cabanas and chilled in "the cave" -- an enclosed area with a steaming hot sauna. We hung out in the baths there and just relaxed and celebrated for the rest of the night!

SUNDAY
We woke up to rain, but that didn't stop us from hanging out in the baths some more. We had a free breakfast, relaxed in the baths, and after an unsuccessful search for cheap massages, we had lunch.








We walked around, taking the beauty of Papallacta...



And then headed back to Quito on the bus. I got back home and left again to go out bowling with Ashley, Carlos, Ramiro, and Danny, where I actually got second by a few points!


Overall, an amazing weekend. I really missed being with my friends and family on my birthday, but this was so great that it made up for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment